Engine Rebuild and Parts Update



There she is, the cylinder block and crankcase (the hardest parts to clean and mask) all stripped, cleaned and painted.  I'm telling you, there is something therapeutic about cleaning up a 40 year old motorcycle engine.  Getting brake fluid in my eye and scrubbing those gaskets off every mating surface is very comparable to hardships in life like whe..SIKE I'm not gonna do that to you.   Each one of those gaskets turned into something harder than metal; testing my patience, taunting me to bring the steel brush wheel to it at 1 million rpm BUT I DIDN'T.  At one point I literally threw the oil pan in the trash and bought a clean one from ebay.  The rebuild I don't mind, but next time I'm dropping this thing off to get vapor blasted and painted.  All in all, I'm pretty happy with how it looks.  Next I'm going to be polishing the fins on the cylinder block and then getting it back on the crankcase.   My goal is to get the engine mostly reassembled before I leave for vacation and get surgery.   Gonna be in a sling for 6 weeks staring at my stagnant motorcycle build, oh well.  

Organized all the parts I need for the build.  Laid out, there really isn't all that much that goes into a motorcycle.  Let this next part be a lesson to those that want to build something of their own: I bought a used set of forks that looked great; light rust/pitting, straight tubes, nice paint, etc.  I AND the seller thought they were from a 1979 CB750k.  After measuring them against my other 1979 CB750k, they were different in just about every way; I already thought it was suspicious that an american k had dual front brakes (red flag I ignored).  After researching I found out that they were from a 1977 CB750F.  I thought I had wasted money (ebay return would've been a nightmare trying to convince the seller they weren't the right year) until looking closely at the 1980 CB750F brake system; it looks they like the are direct bolt in to the 1977 F forks, so the entire front brake system: dual rotors, calipers, line w/ splitter and master cylinder is on order.  Heres to hoping it actually works out... This experience is normal to restoration projects fyi.  


Finalized the solution for the rearsets.  Got the foot controls in from a CB750 Bol 'd Or.  The engine hanger bolt (welding a longer bolt) and the drum connecting rod need some machining, but it'll work. I'll post pictures again of how I got it it to work in the future.  I also ordered the wheels.  I saved some money by finding out the american 1979 CB750F uses the same front wheel I was looking for; the rear wheel is a disc brake.  The matching drum brake equipped wheel comes from a european RC01 CB750k.  With some clip ons, ill have a complete front end.  I'm going to be posting a complete spread sheet on where all the parts came from to complete this bike.  I know something like that would've been helpful to me when I began.  I've procrastinated long enough providing this almost informationless blog post, time to get back to cleaning and painting the rest of the engine.  

Bye.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NORMA JEAN - 1981 Honda CB750k Cafe Racer

Project LETHE - 1988 BMW R100 Cafe Racer

Finished Engine and Wiring